Sunday, June 30, 2013

Roast Beef and other bits and pieces...

Had been planning a Roast Beef dinner with a difference and went to the the Ginger Pig in Borough Market anticipating buying a rib (or two). However then saw that they had Rump matured for 50 days, after establishing that none was available immediately, the chaps kindly decided to prepare a piece for me. It was ferried back to Paris.
Instead of normal yorkshire pudding etc I decided to use a recipe from the first Ottolenghi book that suggests three sauces to accompany beef fillet. However in the absence of watercress I used rocket in the "Watercress and Mustard" sauce.

To start the evening I made some hummus following Simon Hopkinson's method of pealing the chick peas however I think it maybe a little too salty so I think in future I'll be more careful and test the saltiness of the liquid I uses to loosen the mixture from the jar and perhaps crush garlic with out using salt.

We then went with Hopkinson again for a straightforward salad of haricots vert.
To follow a quick fish course using a recipe from Mark Hix's Best Ever Summer recipes
And then the the beef served with roast potatoes and carrots scented with star anise and St. Joseph!



No comments: